Has anyone else seen the current Ikea advert? If not check it out here. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/campaigns/storage_ideas.html#newad
It starts off like a dating advert and slowly you realise that all their possessions are keeping them from one another. Thanks to a range of nifty storage solutions, they find their way back together.
I really like the advert slogan which is ‘Make Room for your Life’. It resonates with me as I think you need to clear the physical and mental clutter that we have all accumulated to really enjoy your life.
Ever since the 50’s we have been consistently bombarded with the message that if we buy a specific product, we will become happier. However, research shows that despite incomes rising, people are less happy now than they were 50 years ago. So the stuff doesn’t seem to be working.
One of my tasks last weekend was to clear out our garage. It symbolised our consumer lifestyle, with empty boxes, discarded appliances where we had upgraded and a whole raft of things that we thought ‘will come in useful one day’.
We cleared a huge amount out, with some for the tip, some for auction and a lot for our local charity shops. It felt good to see the space appearing and to know that we could find the stuff that was important to us.
We still have some way to go, and require a few more hours to get it working as a useful space again, but I definitely feel that we have made good headway. We used the following prompts when considering whether to keep stuff;
· If we had forgotten we had it and haven’t missed it, do we really need it?
· We don’t need more than one working toaster/heater/kettle etc. If our one breaks, we can buy another, we don’t need to stockpile as if there is an apocalypse coming.
· Just because someone bought as a present, doesn’t mean we have to keep it forever.
· If it’s broken are we really going to fix it? Have we already replaced it or found a work around?
· There are lots of things that relate to projects that are waiting to be done. So the task for this weekend is to complete some of these jobs and clear some more room.
What areas in your house attract clutter? What steps do you use to get rid of unnecessary clutter.